Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wrong Turn...Avenged


Fresh off my disappointing wrong turn rodeo, I jetted to West Yellowstone to race at the Best of US Montana Qualifier. Traveled down the day of, love getting up super early and driving during dawn. Upon arriving I found a primo resort town set upon a beautiful lake...I knew it was going to be great, once in a lifetime kind of day.
This is an off road triathlon so I was pleased to bring my cyclocross bike. Surrounded by other wetsuit clad mountain bike ridin' triathletes. The swim was a pristine out and back, we were led all the way bay a cable that ran right on top of the water. Talk about making the sighting and swimming a straight line process much easier! It was an out of water start so in typical fashion I was passed by a bunch of people sprinting to the water. I usually keep the same pace throughout the entire swim so lots of people swim by me at the start but I catch 90% of them within the first 5 minutes of the swim portion.

True to protocol I was at the tail end of the lead group at 300 meters. I flirted with the idea of trying to go off the front and see what happens, as my swim was feeling very smooth and strong. I figured "what the hell" and accelerated around the pack, making sure to go wide and fast as to deter any hitchers from catching the draft. At the turn around I had a few seconds lead. I continued my tempo and held a super straight line, thanks to the guide cable, and headed towards shore. I knew it was going to be wild as I never have led the swim portion of an open water swim. Pretty great feeling, I tried to stay calm.

Once through transition I was cruising atop my Kona Cross Bike. I never looked back and tried to distance other riders, and those faster runners. I felt relatively fast throughout the whole ride with the exceptions of the corners. I generally lack off road skills and it showed. Two times I rode into the corners too hot and found myself off the road in the bushes and ditch...no problem I'm on a bulldozer of a bike, not wimpy carbon road bike, we are talking brush bashing steel. I quickly found my way back to transition and my running shoes.

I knew I needed a good run to place well. The run hurt, and I did run off course, deja vou, but unlike last race, race officials quickly righted my path...thanks for that crew. At the front it still hurts but it is alot more fun to hurt as I was doing my best to catch the thrill of victory that drifted just ahead. I did what I could to kick the last mile so that I could enjoy the finish area.

I spent days, weeks, and months to be in this position. A position that I will never be guaranteed again, a position that few people ever achieve, I was determined to enjoy the payoff. When I crossed the finish line everything I had done up to the that point, the time alone, the finicky diet, the sacrifices were all justified and all worth it. No one will ever take that away from me.

More so than the victory, I am proudest of my actions after the race. I congratulated the racers finishing behind me...then the racers behind them...then those finishing after them. Before I knew it I was congratulating every finisher...everyone. As I waited for each finisher, people began to come and talk to me and tell me what a class act of sportsmanship it was of me to wait. My simple reply to them was "slow or fast, we all give our best and hurt the same." It was such a special moment to greet each of the finishers and give them the respect, my respect, that they have earned.
 Check out my friend Dan getting the classic Hi-5 as he puts on the speed.
 Post race I learned I had earned a spot to go to Tempe and race. I won't be going, but this race will forever live with me as it was a true once in lifetime moment, a wonderful day, a justification of whatever it is I do everyday...wrong turn avenged.