Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Have I Been Doing?

The last time I wrote I was pretty down. My injury had returned and I was kind of at a loss, it was like I need to just be lost for a bit. So what have I been doing since?

Well I have been working out in different ways, my exercises need to be creative when I cannot run. I have been able to do my cycling without issue, I am very thankful for that. Swimming is progressing nicely, although I am in and out of the pool sporadically. I have been doing more weight training since my run volume has dropped.

The weight sessions have been intense for sure, I like it. I once watched a show about downhill skiers and the training they do outside of ski season. Their training involves lots of legs and painful exercises like hamstring curls. It makes sense, they have to have rock solid legs to hold a 90 degree knee bend and absorb bumps and 70 mph. My weight sessions reflect the skier's training I saw. I have been using my sauna to train mentally.

Sitting in a sauna for an hour at 150 degrees is just as mentally challenging as mile 9 of half marathon in half ironman races. All I want to do is open the door and flee the sauna, whereas in the race all I want to do is walk. It is very similiar with the amount of self imposed suffering that it takes to stay in them both respectively. This supports my theory that the run is will power as mush as muscle power. The phrase, "it's in your head, not in your muscles," holds true.

More importantly, as part of my New Year's resolution I wanted to improve my diet. I have done very well. I have been amazing with this. I eat salads, fruit, health proteins and avoid late night eating. I have totally defeated my crutch of chips and salsa, ice cream, cakes, cookies, and candy. I walk by all those foods dozens of times a day, I don't even care anymore.

I no longer misapproiate my formerly favorite foods that taste great but pack in the carbs. I beat it! I have already seen positive changes in my body, I feel better. As a result of my diet and my heavy weight training I can see that I am becoming more fit in terms of being lean and defined. It was something that I intended to do for a long time, I am so impressed with myself that I am well on the path, and it is enjoyable now where it use to be hard. I actually want to do all the things that were once hard to do in terms of diet.

Aside from not being able to run (I might be withdrawing from my 2 key half ironmans :(  (sadface ) I have made tremendous progress and am very happy with my current status. Healthy Body. Healthy Mind.