Saturday, August 7, 2010

Jacksonville Run Camp


Run Easy...Run like an Animal

*Jacksonville!

Running camp has reintroduced me to the long run.  I forgot how simple, yet satisfying, a long run can be.  I have also been reintroduced to the challenge and appeal of it.  I have not put in many long runs since my marathons, but the memories of the fatigue, difficulty, and effort required took, well, about 45 minutes to come back.

Long runs are cool because I start out being ccomfortable and just enjoy the early morning quietness of the sleeping city, and the relatively "cool" 90 degree temperature and high humidity.  The humidity is actually nice to start in because I am warmed up within a minute, and my skin is never dry. 

The majority of the run is smooth and efficient, my muscles feel great and my form is on.  I run, and run, and run.  I run by forests, rivers, lakes, people, through neighborhoods, through parks, past stores, by barking dogs (sometimes from barking dogs), on sidewalks, through parking lots, and on dirt trails.  I run on roads I know, and explore ones I don't.  Sometimes on these runs I think up brilliant ideas, and sometimes I don't think at all, I just run.   


*Jacksonville Long Run Route

It isn't until I start heading for home that the fatigue starts.  I remember when running my marathon I ran the first half and wasn't even tired.  I even ran the first 20 and wasn't tired.  It wasn't until the 21 mark that fatigue hit me in the head like a hammer.  I digress.  It doesn't matter if I run for 20 or 60 minutes, as soon as I head home the fatigue slowly starts to firm up my legs like slowly drying cement. 

The last quarter of the long run is always mental will-power to continue running.  The discomfort is my best friend at this point, and the fastest way to get home is to run home.  You wouldn't think that the comfortable pace of an hour ago could morph and change into something requiring twice the effort and three times the focus to maintain.  

Why should I keep running?  Answer:

A)  because I finish what I start.  
B)  because if I quit now, I will quit during the race. 
C)  because in order to win, I have to pay the price.
D)  because relaxing on Saturday won't be as fun if I don't keep running. 
E)  because this is fun, in a twisted tricked-up kind of way.
F)  because easy running is jogging, and I don't jog.
G)  all the above.    

Then, as soon as I get to the end of the run, the focus and discomfort are gone within 5 steps of slowing down.  I then get to enjoy the rest of the day knowing I am building my run animal with each run, and that I did something productive today. 



*My two friends, they are the opposite of each other, but exactly the same. Wrap your mind around that.