Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Seeley Lake Triathlon


*Seeley Triathlon Race Crew

*This happens everyday in Montana

I have competed in sports my whole life. One common thing to every sport is the frustration that I felt when I didn’t do as well as I thought I could or should do. Over the years (not now of course) I had some very interesting actions in dealing with these frustrations. I threw baseball helmets, waterbottles, shoes, wrestling headgear, and have broken more ping-pong paddles than I can count on both hands. I always get a great big smile on my face when I think of these things, they are hilarious.

Well I have learned a lot over the years about winning and losing like a champion. If any of you have ever heard of Randy Couture (American wrestler and UFC Champion) you’ll know what a class act he is. In recent years I have tried to model myself after him.

The Seeley Lake Triathlon was a perfect time to exhibit my life lessons.  I was not recovered from my bike crash and got worked over pretty good by some fast people.  One of the things I learned over the years is to not make excuses after the race.  Every time I have a bad race I go up to the people who beat me, I look them in their eyes, shake their hand, and tell them, “good job.”  No one likes to hear excuses so I try to be happy for them and their success.


*Happy for Tim and Russ


I don’t have much to say about my race, I was first after the swim and the bike, but took a whoopin’ on the run. I finished 5th overall and 3rd in my modified age category of 26-35 years old.

I won’t make excuses, the facts are I wasn’t ready to compete, that’s where it ends. I shook everyone’s hand, looked them in their eyes, and told them “good job.” I am happy that they had great races even if it meant beating me. I will get them next time; it’s all part of racing. While I may not have been a champion after the race, I can hold my head high.




 

*Wobbly Legs :)

*Dang...

The highlight of the weekend was being able to share the race with Kayla, Scott, Uriah, Corrie, Jess, and my parents.  We all had a fantastic family day on the boat after the race.

*My sister!

*King of Cool made his return to triathlon



 
*Medal!

*In the end, I am still smiling