Thursday, May 24, 2012

Peak Triathlon 2012


My good friend, Dave, we are all happy you are a-okay.  You are a special friend to a lot of people.


The Peak Tri was a great race.  My sister did an excellent job organizing it.  The race went super smooth, there were great shirts for both volunteers and racers, and a really tough hill on the run course made for some testing moments.


I was lucky enough to have a great entourage including my parents, both sisters, Scott, Diana, Jess, Anne, and a lot of great race friends.  The barbecue we had after the race was nothing short of amazing.  When you have smoked ham, brats, secret recipe macaroni salad, baked beans, and homemade cookies the serving is at minimum three trips through the line. 

*My dad slaved all day so we could feast after the race

It was great to see all the tri friends and catch up.  This year’s race was pretty cool because I was sharing a swim lane with my brother-in-law, Scott.  Just before our swim start I heard a familiar voice say, “Hellllloooo down there!”  Ha ha, Uriah!

*Apic is worth a thousand words...

*Loosening up

*Hi Uriah

*Go get it boys!

The men’s elite heat started and we took off for the 500 yard swim. I didn’t feel very sharp during the whole race, but I did manage to have a great swim.  I swam a 6:17 which is 22 seconds faster than my previous best at the race.  I came out of the pool well ahead of all but one of the overall contenders.  My transition spot, thanks to Jess and Anne, was prime real estate.


*Lime green accents!

 I hit transition and made my way to the bike course in second place.  This race is run in heats so I quickly lost coordinates on the leader as people started to come and go in both directions.  At the three mile mark on the bike a group of three caught me.  I was a little irked because I watched them work together the whole ride, pack riding isn’t legal at this race.

*This is how pack riding makes Uriah feel

During the bike I felt like I couldn’t wind up the tempo to the time trial pace.  I kept slipping in and out of what I felt should be my pace and what I could handle on this specific day, the two did not match.  I have chosen to ride the first few races of the year without a bike computer and race simply on feeling. After the race I saw my bike split was 30 seconds slower than last year. 

*Scott on the bike

Still having fun, I made transition two in 6th place overall.  I made my change to shoes and left sporting some sweet lime green run gear.  I wasn’t really that close to anyone and didn’t have anyone in close chase to threaten me.  I felt pretty flat on the run, which wasn’t a surprise based on how I felt during the bike and swim. I ran the two out-and-backs and the huge hill to the third dog-leg running comfortably by myself.  I wasn’t all that tired, I just didn’t have the spring in my legs to wind it up and run hard.  That happens. 

*Climb baby climb

*Geoff on the run

*Forward LEEEEAAAN

*Scott rocking the sweet kit

 Last week I was on top of the podium with the victory smile, this week I didn’t even make the podium.  That’s what makes triathlon interesting; anyone can win on any given day. Just when you start to feel like “the man” it will bring you back to earth in a hurry.  I’m not disappointed in 6th, it’s motivating, and any day of triathlon is a good day. There were a lot of studs at the race; the majority of people finishing in the top 10 spots have won multiple races. There is no reason to be a complainer about 6th, doesn’t mean I have to like it though. J 

*Call it a day, I'm done.

Diana had a fantastic day; she completed her first triathlon while showing off her amazing swim.  She impressed a lot of people with a sub six-minute 500 yard swim.  Congrats to her on her first triathlon attempt.

Scott also had a great day of racing.  He wore a great outfit including shin sleeves (oh yeah party time).  He had a strong swim, rode his sweet new triathlon bike fast, and then suffered like we all do on the hard run course.  It was cool to share a lane with him; we never hit hands or crowded each another.

*Wave goodbye

Overall the barbeque and time with the family and entourage overshadowed the actual race results.  It was fun to race and spend time with everyone at the race.   It’s a safe bet to say that everyone at the race had fun regardless of were they finished.  It was a great day to be us!  Thanks to my dad and Jess for the pictures!  Thanks to the entourage for the cheers! Thanks to Heather for letting my type this race report at her house!  Thanks to you for reading.

*A final thank you to Hammer Nutrition for taking such great care of me