Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Act 3 of 4: The Triathlon

I realize that it is a huge oxymoron when someone asks me what my favorite sport is, and I reply with "triathlon."  Triathlon is three sports, simple, yet amazingly complex , an oxymoron in itself.  


*My favorite thing is actually three things

In order to accomplish your goals in the tri you have to be trained, disciplined, and efficient in not one, but three sports.  I think the combination of raw horse power and tactical execution of a limited amount of energy across all three sports is a big part of what people find appealing.


*Finish what you start.

*Peaceful morning at the lake

I love to bike race, do running events, and compete in swim meets, but nothing compares to the triathlon.  Act 3 was my favorite event of the series and even though professional triathlete, Lewis Elliot, totally spoiled my bid to repeat as champion, I still had an amazing day.  I train hard for my events and make a lot of sacrifices doing the things that other people won't do.  Does it somehow cheapen my accomplishment, damper my enjoyment, or somehow detract from all those long hours I spent training alone to come across the line in 2nd place rather than first?  




The answer is, "No, it doesn't"  I put a lot into my training, and I had a good race.  It was the best I could do for that moment and I am not disappointed with 2nd place.  The ultimate satisfaction is in knowing that I did the best I could in training and working through the little bumps that showed up along the way. I try and keep a humble heart and motivated attitude, and show people that training hard and doing your best is always enough to feel accomplished.  Like I've said before, it isn't always about winning.


*Testing the water

*Reeeeaaach

The race started with a pretty balmy swim in the lake.  After lap one of the two-lap swim I was in 2nd place right behind one of the best swimmers in the state, Chandler.  On lap two I moved to the lead and exited the water in first place, about 20 seconds ahead.  That for me was an awesome swim!


*Superstar, Chandler, leads the group on lap one.

*I had a great swim, I enjoyed it!

I left for the bike after a good transition and entered the main portion of the bike course.  This is a pretty tough bike course and we fought the wind and rolling hills for a majority of the time.  At about the 3 or 4 mile mark on the bike eventual winner, Lewis, passed me.  One thing I respect about Lewis is the fact that he can actually say "good job, etc." when going by.  I always encourage people out on the course, even if they are passing me or I am passing them.  To think that somehow saying something nice to a competitor robs you of your power or ego is ridiculous. I find it very classy to tell (or be told) that you are "doing a good job" while you try to rip the other person apart and beat them. :)


*Bike time!

Lewis and I exchanged a few comments back and forth before he eased ahead.  He is in his triathlon prime and to see how someone can perform at that level is motivating and humbling at the same time.  He's pretty incredible.  Anyway, on the way out to the turnaround Lewis left me, and I left the field.  When I made the turnaround I checked the gaps and they had busted wide open.


*Auto detailer spray makes my bike shine!

I climbed the hills and made my return to the park to some great cheers and my paparazzi, Chris Sievers.  Thank you so much to her for again taking pictures.  I owe her big time.  I made my change to shoes and my visor and left for the run.  


*Transition two

*Run time!

I respect this sport and one thing I do that I find really satisfying is try to come up with sweet kits.  It's called being eccentric and I like to look sharp.  I find it satisfying to do weird things like match my sunglasses, race belt, and shoes.  Half the fun of triathlon is being able to express yourself in uncommon ways.  When I left on the run I heard a girl say, "That's a cool outfit!"  The run was all gravy after that, mission accomplished. lol.




I had a great run, I had good turnover, and rolled through the tougher sections of the course.  I locked up a little near then end, but that can be attributed to all the mounting fatigue of the prior acts.  I briefly reminisced about what it took to get to this level; the hard winter training, the ouchies, and all those moments I told myself that "you need to do this," before I finished with a big smile on my face.


*Finishing with a smile

*My "cool outfit." Hey, I didn't say it, the nice lady did.

To say I wasn't a little disappointed with 2nd place would be a lie.  I trained hard and I trained to win, and I didn't.  That feeling was quickly replaced when some of the spectators told me congratulations and what a good job I had done.  All things considered, it was a good day and 2nd place is a fantastic accomplishment (if I do say so myself...which I just did say).  




Remember, it's not always about winning, and it's not a crime to compliment someone when they are doing a good job.