Thursday, December 27, 2012

XC Ski Training


I am very lucky because I have some very special people who love me.  Christmas was great, I spent it with my family and we all enjoyed it. I also had the opportunity to visit Ed and Patti for some great ski training.

*Patti and I getting ready to hit the trails

Ed and Patti are special people to me.  Patti is a very dedicated athlete and loves training much like I do.  She graciously invited me down for a training camp.  Patti is a ski instructor so I had the best of both the training and instruction.  

*Lots of Snow at 7000+ feet, altitude training at its best.

*Patti is a heck of an athlete, her xc skiing is no exception

I was a little out of my element as I have never skied in the traditional technique.  I have cross country skied, but only in the skating technique.  After a few minutes with Patti I was feeling much more confident and finding the hang of it.  

The trails were amazing, there was so much snow and epic mountain scenery.  Pictures and words won't do it justice, it simply cannot be put into words.  The moments I shared on the trails with Patti were some very special moments for both of us.  I am her adopted grandson, which is very moving for me because all of my grandparents passed away when I was young.  A friendship that spans two generations, sharing a common training bond, is a very rare and special thing.  The one thing that I am most proud of is that I am able to recognize special moments and not take them for granted.

*The skier's lodge, only accessible by ski or snowshoe

*Bunk house in the top of the lodge

*A treat to warm the skiers during a break in the training

*Lots of wood in the cellar for the cold winter

*If you stopped and held your breath, all you could hear was absolute silence (oxymoron), it was incredible.

After 4 exhausting hours of skiing, Patti and I were ready to head home.  We had a great talk in the car about a lot of things; training, competitions, and love :)  It was a treat and a very special moment to be with Patti doing what we love to do.

Ed could not ski with us because he had a sore foot, that was a bummer, but we did spend time together at the house after skiing.  Patti made an excellent dinner and we all watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.  Patti challenged me to a game of table tennis and gave me a run for my money as we ping ponged the ball back and forth.  Even in table tennis our competitive side showed with friendly efforts to win the sets.  

*Ed and I sharing a moment

*The delicious and nutrious post-ski meal

*Ed carving up a delicious roast

*Roast, green beans, and spaghetti squash.

*Patti, Ed, and the adopted grandson :)

It was such a treat to spend the day with Ed and Patti, I am counting down the days until I can return to their house, and share the spring swim meets with them.  These are special moments, the worst mistake that anyone can make is taking the ones they love, and the joy and support they bring, for granted.  I made the most of every moment with Ed and Patti and my family over Christmas.  I hope you are doing the same :)

Keep on skiing...kick...glide...kick....glide.