Sunday, May 19, 2013

Peak Triathlon


*Family pic

The Peak Tri weekend was doubled with my sister’s graduation party.  Congratulations to her and her accomplishment.  The weekend was also a smash because my parents made some delicious food.  They both worked very hard so we could all be happy and full.  It was nice to share the weekend with my family, and triathlon friend, Ayla.  

*There was also a reoccurring theme that Uriah could throw a fit at a moments notice over the smallest of things...

*So he got the "Torture Rack" and it seemed to cheer him up.

*Now we are all grads

My other sister, Kayla, is the race director of the triathlon and I am very proud of her.  She runs her events with such efficiency and professionalism.  I have been to a lot of fantastic races, and the Peak Tri ranks up there with the professionally managed events.

The weekend was fun, the food was great, the entourage was awesome, and my dad took some great pictures. However, as far as the race is concerned I left frustrated, again.  I have only encountered one thing that can cause my temper to steam.  That one thing is under performing in athletics.  Specifically, when I perform at a level that I know to be less than what I am capable of, less than what I have trained so hard for, is extremely frustrating. 

I have not been to a race that I have not been able to have success at.  I have had bad races, but I have been able to focus on subsequent years and come back and “finish the unfinished.”  The Peak Tri is the one race that for all 4 years has evaded me.  At this point I don’t know if I am training too hard, not training hard enough, or even if the problem is in my mind or my muscles.  I have raced it four times and all four performances were less than what I know I am capable of.  I am not here to complain in frustration, as I have said the previous three years “there is always next year, I guess.” J

My sister did a great job managing the event, Scott did a great job racing, Ayla did fantastic at her first Peak Tri, my other triathlon friends had a great time, and in the very least, I can be proud of my sweet pink and black Hammer outfit. I will keep the report short, as I said before, it was a fun weekend, but my performance left me frustrated.  No need to dwell, so enjoy the pics.

*Male elite heat, all in black shorts except me in pink. :)

*Scott sighting the final lap kickboard.

*Ayla during the swim.

*Swim exit for me, pink and black, yo!

*T1 exit, in the lead and feeling the chase that would be coming.

*Eventual winner, Andrew Droebeck, on the bike.

*Kory Burgess zooms through the pic.

*Pink and black on the move.

*Scott climbing out of T2.

*This is triathlon, why are you smiling?

*Ayla needs to take note of the run-terminator face.

*Scott looking impressive on the run.

*Okay, good, no more smile.

*Andrew flying along the pavement.

*I put this pink outfit together myself, jealous?

*Finishing kick.

*Great beard!

*I had said that Uriah was prone to melting down this weekend, he is on the verge of one right now. :)

*But he saw Scott coming and cheered up.

*I watched Scott and Dave Norman in a run battle.  Scott out sprinted Dave by 2 seconds...but Uriah out kicked them both at the finish. Lol.

*My finish pic.

There's a certain amount of ego that goes into under performing.  Humility is a good lesson at times and maybe I was due. I have never stood on the podium at this race, I've had two 4th places, but honestly I have never even been close to the winner.  But, guess what, I know that I can do it even if I have yet to show it in the past four years.  I believe I can do it, and I am still smiling. 

*Pink accessories in all three disciplines, that's a small success.

"Better Luck Next Year, Brodacious."  :)