Saturday, June 29, 2013

Apple Capital Training Camp

 

*My favorite place to ride my bike past, or go out to dinner at, the Apple Tree Golf Course.
 
Since my first visit to Yakima, WA in 2009 I have really liked this place. I owe Kevin and his family a lot for inviting me here 4 years ago. This same weekend last year I spent in Yakima and it was one of the best weekends of my whole life.  I spent it training, meeting amazing people, chasing new adventures, and attending Kevin and Anne's wedding.  I had so much fun every day with my friends, met and spent time with people I care a lot for, and to top it off had a killer training camp. 

*Congratulations to Kevin and Anne on their one year anniversary, a year goes by fast. Congratulations to my sister and Scott on their 6th anniversary, time flies.  
 
*Beautiful Yakima Valley.

*A rare spot of shade on the Greenway
 
I have this really interesting thing about my personality, I love numbers, when I see objects I think of the numbers behind them, how much they cost, how much they weigh, how long I've had them, etc. I have a similar trait when it comes to dates. When I see a date I always ask myself, "What was I doing on this date a year ago, two years ago?"  I have a keen sense to remember exactly what I was doing on most dates in the recent past.   Having that personality trait makes me remember things of the past, wish I could repeat them, and at times long to re-live adventures.
 
As I have done with other places, such as the Lake Loop, I left a big part of my heart in Yakima, WA last year, it is now one of my favorite places to be.  I really embraced the experiences, enjoyed the training, and made some great memories under the hot Yakima sun.  This year, when the date got close, I found myself longing to be in Yakima with those same people and doing the same things as I was last year. 
 
A part of me naively wished and hoped that I would have as much fun as last year, and that it would somehow be the same.  I saddled up my Orbea Orange Crush road bike, packed my bags full of sunscreen, Hammer Nutrition kits and fuels, and set course.
 
*I stocked up with fruit at the store so I wouldn't go hungry while doing all my training.  For some odd reason the color array made me feel good.
 
*Fruit packing plant.

*Miles of orchards
 
Life, as it usually does, changes quickly.  Even though I was in the same place, training the same routes, and chasing the same adventures, it was all different.  Kevin wasn't there this time, I didn't get to see JM, Kevin's parents had prior obligations, and generally speaking I felt like I was in a shaken up snow globe.  
 
Things such as my training routes and workouts appeared the same, but everything else was shaken up when compared to last year.  It was like seeing a familiar face, but not being able to put your finger on where you know the person from.  It was kind of eerie to realize how fast and drastically life can change.  I have always been very lucky to have a lot of structure and stability in my life, so that small taste of how fast life can change is probably a good lesson for me.
 
*Franklin Park, my favorite place to run and relax. I have many memories here.
 
Although I spent every training minute and mile alone this year, I had a great camp riding, running, and swimming under the blazing Yakima sun.  I ran 92 minutes under the 92 degree sun on the beautiful Greenway --more numbers :) -- rode out past Tampico fighting the winds, cruised through the orchards on my bike for hours until dusk, rode by the golf course, and swam in the now familiar Lions Pool.  I also spent a lot of time at my favorite place in Yakima, Franklin Park, running the track and terrace hill, and reflecting on all that had happened in the last year.  
 
Franklin Park terraces and track. If I wasn't running then I just sat and watched people enjoying their workouts.
 
A cool thing that happened was I met a guy who wants to start triathlon.  I was wearing a triathlon race shirt at the park and he came up to me and asked, "Do you do those things?" pointing to my shirt.  We had a nice conversation, I may have my new friend, Francisco, ready to pull the trigger on his first tri.  That's cool in my opinion.
 
*The air temp was 92, but this exposed path was much hotter, I was glad to have Hammer Endurolytes because it was hot (heat wave lines). lol 
 
*The ironic contrast of hot and cold side-by-side.

 
Even though this trip was not the same as last year, which would be impossible to duplicate, and I really missed all those special people from last year, I had a great time making new memories.  At the end of the day, I can only give my best with what I have, and this year involved having most of those experiences and memories by myself.  That is okay, like I said, life changes fast, and who knows what next year will bring.

Overall, I had a great camp, and I am very proud of all my personal and athletic efforts made on this trip.

To all those people of last year who I missed while I was here, my family, and other friends who follow my adventures,  I hope everyone is having a great start to summer.  We have a lot of memories to make, and hopefully I am included in some of those.  We are very lucky people to do what we do.

Thanks for reading.