Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lake Meridian Triathlon

After Saturday's race I was feeling confident about Sunday.  I was the defending champion, I had beaten my triathlon idol for the first time ever the day before, and the Sunday race course suited me better than Saturday's.  I was quietly confident that I would rip off a good swim, have a strong bike, and run it in.



I am very proud of this post because the race did not go to plan, it felt like a nightmare honestly.  Rather than  lament how my times were slower than last year or describe my overall (albeit unexplainable) powerlessness I felt during the swim and bike, what if I just gave credit to everyone else for doing a good job and neutralizing my strengths? The winners executed a great game plan.

Maybe...just maybe...I can be happy for everyone else, compliment them, and rather than spoil their achievement by writing about my disappointment, I could just let other people enjoy their "moment."  I've certainly had my time in the spotlight this year and seized my moments, this was my time to take a step down and be happy for other people. 

I must thank a few people, Bill and Debbie were so nice  to come and cheer me on.  The one part that stings a little is that I wished I could have done better for them.  I know they still love me the same, but I always like to do great when my family is in attendance.  Thanks to Renee Ayling for the cheers and pictures, I appreciate them.  And...a BIG thank you to my competitors, who are some of my best triathlon friends.  I am thankful for their competition, the challenge they bring, and their lessons in humility that keep me both grounded and motivated. 

So let's go for the race.  The swim is usually a weapon of mine.  The field, at this race however, did a good job of neutralizing it.  There were two swimmers who went way off the front, and I came out with the chase pack.  When we left transition 1 the lead pack of super bikers were all over me after doing a great job in the swim.

 


Super biker, Mark Doane, was the first to strike. He passed and went on his way.  I watched his powerful calves move up and down as he hammered on.  Trev Dakan was next.  He rides the same bike, and wears the same outfit, as Stuart, so when I saw the front of his bike in my peripheral I mistakenly said, "Good Job, Stu. Go get 'em." 

Drew Magill was next to go by.  When I saw Drew that soon on the bike I knew I was in deep trouble.  Drew gave me a thumbs up when he went by, which I appreciated.  One of the things I like about Drew is he is a dominating figure on the race course, but a very quiet and humble person off of it.  He carries a lot of prowess because his is so dominating, yet so humble. 

After the race one of the racers came up to me and apologized for drafting me on the bike.  It wasn't until after he apologized that I learned that Drew had some words with him about it.  Of the top 4 overall, I was the only one under 38 years old.  It felt strangely comforting to know that Drew was kind of watching out for me, the young punk competing with the big dogs. I also appreciate the sincere apology from the other racer.  That was a cool thing.

I was backsliding on the bike and strong racers just kept coming.  Josh Adams, caught me at about mile 10 and dropped me to 6th place. He is a great rider, compliments to him. I was just doing my best to hang tough, I haven't been in a position to be losing spots like I was, it was humbling. 

*Josh leading me into Transition 2
 


I came into T2 as my cousin Bill said, "All right Brosious, time to go to work."  I knew I had a lot of work to do on the run.  I actually felt pretty smooth on the run.  I took time out of everyone in front of me as I navigated the hilly course.  I was able to take back two spots to move to 4th, and was doing my best to reclaim 3rd from Trev.  At the turn-around I saw Drew and Mark about a minute ahead of me, Trev was about 15 seconds, and Stuart and Josh were hot on my heels and both looking strong.

 *Just hang in there and finish 'er up.

I made one last push to catch 3rd, but Trev handled it well and managed his gap on the last big hill.  I suffered it in for 4th place with Stuart right behind me securing 5th.  I congratulated Drew on winning, Mark on 2nd, and Trev for hanging tough to keep 3rd place.  I am happy for them.  I wish I had pictures of all of them to post.

 
*The finish was more fist-pump and smiles in 2012 :)
 
 *2013 was a lot more spit, "glad that's done," and grimace.

*25-29 age division, killing them with jokes. The girl next to me seems to find it funny.
 
I am really happy for everyone at the race, today wasn't my day and I tried to do a good job of trying to unselfishly let other people have their moment. 

 
Maybe....just maybe...I have something other than winning to be proud of today.