Sunday, August 11, 2013

Seeley Lake Triathlon

For this triathlon trip we had rugged camping, boating, and hard racing.  It really was a great family weekend. 
 
*Hannah, Uriah, Kayla, Scott, and me
 
My parents were very gracious to get us a campsite, cook all the delicious meals, and handle most of the planning.  It made my trip that much easier and I appreciate. Thanks to my parents we secured the last campsite in the campground and we had some amazing meals, so delicious.  A big thank you to them.  Also, we were lucky to have Ann and Hannah Seifert join us at our campsite and for the race.  It was nice to have them with us.
 
*Uriah was cozying-up to Ann because she had cookies.
 
Uriah and Baby P. provided numerous moments of hilarity and entertainment.  I was lucky to be a part of their priceless moments.  Those two are great kids.  Although our family swept the overall wins, the true fun of the trip was camping, boating, and spending time together.  I will try and keep the race report short. 
 
*Lounging fire-side
 
*Ha ha smore time. 
 
 
*Get your game face on, it's tube time.
 
*I got such a kick out of these two and their cookie/muffin pre race meal.
 
*Waiting at the bus stop

*Hannah and Ann on the bus

*Bus driver driving the bus
 
*Baby P. looks none too pleased

*Brosious-Seifert-Johnson transition rack
 
*Lining up for the swim
 
*In all fairness we did say, "You can't go in because you'll get your clothes wet."

*Let's Go!
 
We took off on the swim and I found the feet of a former college swimmer who was competing in a team relay.  I intentionally tapped his feet a few times to let him know I was there. I used the draft for about 400 yards until he started to run out of steam.  I made the pass and led the group to the beach with a pretty good gap over the field.


*Checking the swim gap

*Scott out

*Kayla out

*"What are you looking at?" Priceless
 
The pavement on the bike was super smooth and my bike was whisper quiet.  I did not ride my race wheels so it made the ride all the more quiet, I loved it.  Not a single car passed me on the entire bike.  I made it to the turn-around with the chase group being held at bay.  Scott, Hannah, Kayla, and Ann all looked great and were hot on my wheels.  When Hannah went by I said, "Good job, Cookie."  I found it strangely comical at the time given her pre race meal.
 
The great thing about triathlon is that even though we are moving forward to the finish line as a unified mass, we are all moving independent, coming or going, within each discipline. The race is like a solar system and racers like the planets.  We are all revolving around the sun, but we all have our differing paths and speeds.  The winner is the person who navigates their path, the allocation of energy through the swim-bike-run, in the most efficient manner.   
 
*Into transition 2
 
*Scott on the bike
 
The rest of the bike was rather uneventful.  I rode out front and cheered on the approaching racers.  I successfully bunny-hopped over the 5 speed bumps and made it into transition 2.  My parents gave me some cheers and I left  for the run.
 
*Time to do work...in a sweet outfit

*Scott is a blurrr
 
*Kayla making her charge for the lead.
 
A team runner who was really cookin' passed me on the run, but I had the individual race well in hand.  A very ironic thing is happening this year.  At this race last year I felt like a million bucks and ran away with the win.  This year I felt more like a crispy hundred dollar bill, but the ironic thing is my time was faster this year.  This has actually happened at quite a few races this year, I don't feel all that amazing, but my times are faster.  I am not complaining, I will definitely take it, but I do find it odd. 
 
The run was pretty tough, we navigated long, slanted stretches, ankle busting dirt trails, and twisting campground loops.  I never really felt any pressure on the run which allowed me to try and enjoy the tough run.  By the time I was back at the finish I was one happy camper (pun intended).

*Hands up if you love camping.
 
*Two-time champ, 2nd time is just as sweet. 

*Scott on the final stretch
 
*Uriah and Scott finishing together

*Kayla winning the women's race

*Hannah looking great at the finish

 
*Ann finishing strong. She is one of the best Montana triathletes of all time. 
 
*This is like an Abs of Steel advertisement.
 
*Ohhh, Baby P.
 
*Waiting for awards
 
*Baby P., "Gimme that."

*Uriah overseeing the cookie disbursement.

*Johnson family portrait
 
*Hannah sporting some bling.
 
*Hannah won her division, 2nd overall female.

*Kayla won overall woman

*Ann won her division, too

*Scott, first in his division.
 
*My friend, Nate, was 2nd in his division. It was nice to see him.
 
*I'm more friendly on the podium than most.
 
Scott, Kayla, Hannah, and Ann were all hot on my heels at the finish and did great winning their divisions.  We all had tremendous success and seemed to have a lot of fun.  I was lucky to have been part of it.  It was awesome to win the men's race while my sister won the women's race.  That was cool.

This race has been elusive, to defend my 2012 title was super satisfying.  I have had tough races here in past years and let me say it is satisfying to do well after years of hard work.

Dang I love being a rugged, tough, mountain man.