Monday, October 14, 2013

Spokane Half Marathon


"The best part of the race was putting on a run kit, pulling my hat down low to my sunglasses, and just being one in the group."
 
 
One of the opportunities that came my way this fall came in the form of having the chance to run some longer, easier paced, fall runs.  After resting up from tri season, I put in some very enjoyable running miles, taking foot-tours of random places at my leisure and just enjoyed myself.  My friend, Evan, was running the Spokane Half Marathon, so I decided to join and run the 10k.  The night before when we were picking up our packets I had this gut feeling that I should switch to the half.  The Spokane half was the last half marathon I had run, that was 5 years ago to the day in 2008. 
 
I worked the Brosious charm on the registration folks and I was in.  I planned to run "for fun" and enjoy it.  It is a pretty special thing to have a lifestyle and level of fitness that allows me make the decision to run (safely without risking injury) a half marathon 12 hours before it starts. 
 
*My parents took us to dinner on Friday, and Evan graciously took us to his favorite place, Franks Diner, on Saturday.
 
*Uriah ordering, lol.
 
It was a pretty fun race, my parents, Uriah, Ayla all joined us to cheer us on and take pictures.  Evan is in focused training for a marathon in a few weeks so I knew he was going to rip it, which he did running inside the top 10 and winning his age division with a personal best. My other friend, Kate, ran the 10k and finished 3rd in the women's race, great job to her.  
 

 
*We are in this mass...somewhere. Over 700 people finished which made for a fun day.
 
My motivations were less race oriented.  I wanted to have a little fun and more importantly, wear a sweet outfit.  :)  The race was super cold, I didn't warm up so the first few miles were my easy warm up.  I ran the first couple of "warm up" miles at about 8 minutes per mile, and let me say that is a very enjoyable pace, it's been a long time since I have been in the 8-minute group at a race, it was nice.  I picked it up a little with each mile and made good use of the "goodies" at the aid station.  It was nice that they stocked Hammer Nutrition for us.
 
 

*Enjoying the scenic course, thanks to Ayla and my dad for the pictures.
 
 
In addition to looking sharp, I sorta', kinda', almost wanted to run a decent pace.  I figured a 7:15 would be a pace that allowed me to accomplish all my intended goals of the race.  I started out slower and let a lot of people get out a head of me.  I prefer to run from the back because in triathlons I am always racing from the front trying to hold off the charge.  At the running races I prefer to start slower and finish stronger, which allows me to catch a lot of people throughout the later parts of the race.
 
*Moving on up through the field, such an enjoyable section of the race.
 

 
 At mile 10 I was still moving up through the field and loving life.  Ayla joined me on her bike at this time which was nice.  I was doing the math in my head, I needed to run a little faster to get my pace to where I wanted it to be.  I had to make up for those glorious, feel-good 8 minute miles at the start.  I ran mile 11 in 6:37 which put me right back on pace where I needed to be.  That was the only portion of the race that I had to push just a little, the other 12 miles of the race just ticked off one by one and came with ease.  I ran to the finish with an average pace of 7:13 which was perfect and I can say I had a blast. 

*Evan up at the front, good job to him.
 
This race was fun, I think I finished in the 30s or 40s out of 710 people, no grand fist pump celebrations, I didn't even get a medal in my age division, but that is okay, I was just happy in being there and running a half after 5 years.  The only thing I was in contention of winning was best outfit, and probably best attitude. :)  I was okay with letting those finishing in front of me have their moment, they deserve it.  

*This is a sweet picture...
 
That's about it, I am now reminded why people love the half marathon distance.  I have run them before, but in the last 5 years forgot how fun they can be.   It was nice to have my family and friends at the race.  It was also fun to just be one in the group. 


Good job to everyone, thanks for letting me crash the half marathon party.