Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Black Diamond Half Ironman

Nine years ago I did my first half Ironman. My mom and sister went to that race and we had a blast.  It was nice to have my mom go with me again for this race. We had a great time together, I've always been a momma's boy, and that probably won't ever change. If you have a problem with that, then too bad, 'dis baby boy be 'da prince of this family. lol  
 
 
This race report took forever to write. That is rather fitting with how this season has went.  After the bodybuilding show I never felt any urgency or stress. I say (only somewhat) in jest that I don't have a competitive bone in my body right now to race people. 
 
The pleasure I derived from this season was mostly had during longer workouts where I could just do my thing. Workouts that were simply me vs. my limits.  During the summer I found myself wondering what my big thing for the late summer would be, the choice was easy. I have wanted to do a half Ironman in the late summer for a long time.  The problem being I always raced so much during the summer that I didn't have the time or energy to devote to long course racing.  My last half ironman was six years ago. Halfs are special events, they have a unique spirit about the race, and I was quite pleased with the opportunity I had made out of this season. There is something special about September half Ironmans. Equally as satisfying was the transition from the spring to fall activities. 
 
The summer was great, I wasn't doing the normal things I had done in the past, but I found great pleasure and fun in long bike rides, long runs, and consistent day-in training without a lot of racing.  I made a few bike modifications to rejuvenate my spirit and over the last part of the summer put in a handful of 100-mile bike rides.  The last time I rode 100 miles was 2008, and it was misery. I've had that apprehension of how long that is since that day.  Now, after riding it so many times this summer, I am not scared at all. I used my opportunities this summer to challenge that fear. I no longer feel so scared of 100-mile rides (which are ridiculous in distance when you think about it). I own them.
 
Pushing my limits and distances on the run and bike this summer was the most satisfying part of the season. When it came time to "race" everything really took care of itself in a stable fashion because I had done over-distance training in all events.  The race was fun, but it wasn't epic, world changing, or all that provoking emotionally. It, at times, was a cruise, and at other times, like late in the run, was simply a grind.  It was kind of fun.   
 
 
The swim was easy, I swam comfortable with minimal effort, utilized the draft nearly the whole swim, and came out in the top ten.  My friend, Trev Daakan, came out just ahead of Josh Adams and I as we made our way to T1. 
 
 
The mistakes I have made in past half Ironmans are attributed to riding too hard on the bike, and starting the first few miles of the run too hard.  I was bent on not repeating those. I focused on hydrating, fueling, and keeping my power in check.  I bounced back a few spots on the bike as Josh, Stuart, and Trev all distanced themselves from me.  Everything went to plan on the bike, I felt like I rode conservatively enough so that I would be ready to do well during the half marathon portion of the race.    



 
Starting the run my friends Josh, Trev, and Stuart were all out of reach and running faster than I was, they all did such a good job, but I wasn't out of the race by anymeans.  The first half of the run I felt pretty good, I was running low 7-minutes per mile and was catching people who were struggling with the heat.

Like it always does, at mile 8 and 9 the run hits like a hammer.  I started to cramp in my quads, which never happens, and the run became a major grind.  13.1 miles after swimming 1.2 miles, and biking 56 is hard any way you slice it.  I like the halfs because the run gets soooo hard.  I like having to work through that struggle, that is why halfs are special.

*I turn my hat backwards at the halfway point because that's when it's time to go to work.
 
I lost some time during the last handful of miles, it got tough, but it was tough for everyone out there.  A satisfying part of the race was simply sticking in there when you want to stop, that is one of the best challenges.  I finished up the run with a sprint finish against two people, one of which was in my age division.  The guy had passed me about an hour ago and stretched out a huge lead. I was able to draw him back in over the last part of the run and pass him in the last stretch, much like the guy did to me at Ellensburg. That was pretty fun.  
 
*Good job to Stuart and Josh
 
I finished 10th overall, which is my best half Ironman finish, and I have nothing to complain about.  It was a hard day, but I enjoyed it.  As much as I enjoyed it, there is also a feeling of having sooo much work to do to get back to top performance, and so much work to improve my long course racing.  It is clear that I have a big challenge ahead of me because I finished about 20 minutes off the podium.  I have my baseline and challenge now.  
 
Overall, it was a fun day, it was nice to see my friends and have my mom travel with me. I enjoyed the longer race and the September half Iron atmosphere a lot. Thanks to Renee for the pictures, and thanks to my extended family for the big party after the race.
 
I am a man of versatility this year.  I hope to have proven that the sky is the limit.

Now, I gotta' find some more adventures...