Sunday, August 24, 2008

Always the Bride's Maid (2nd place), Never the Bride...



True to typical fashion, I jumped into a local race in Seeley. I had a pretty big week of training so I didn't expect anything amazing in terms of performance, but I figured why not, it will give me a reason to go camp. It is a rather unorthodox race run with a 300 yard swim, 13 mile bike and a 3.3 mile run. That short of a swim leaves a little to be desired but, what the heck, a short swim just means I can rest my swim motors that week, right?

Anyway same usual protocol with a beach sprint entry, people blow past and start swimming way above their abilities and aerobic thresholds, which takes them over my back. Within a hundred yards, like always, I swim back through them, and over if I can...paybacks as they slow with an anaerobic rush. My arms felt heavy as a result of not swimming very much that week, but me hands soon hit sand and I was going into T1 in first.

A quick transition and I was riding, over speed bumps, I soon found the main route and was in rhythm. My legs felt tired and I really lacked motivation to hammer it and enter the world of pain, so I rode easy, well kinda easy. At the bike turn around I saw I had extended my lead to about a minute, but 5 people were within 2 minutes. I rested my tired legs, hoping for a strong run, the last half of the course.

A typical T2, shoes and headgear and I was off and truckin'. I felt tired on the run but I wasn't running that super hard pace where it was really painful, I was enjoying myself. I just focused on clicking off the miles and finding a rhythm. I missed my water handoff but kept going as I snuck a peak of a fast chargin' runner. At the three mile mark I was running well for the day, a 6:32 per mile pace, but a kid 4 year older than me caught me. I really wasn't willing to latch on and hurt the last few minutes. I have no excuse, the kid just had a better day, I led the swim and the bike and most of the run. I had a 6:30 pace but he just was a little bit faster and caught me in the end.

I am happy with second, I appreciate the opportunity to race, and on a low key day like this second is what I deserved as I was simply not willing emotionally and physically to enter "the chamber" of pain to win. I was happy in the end with a 2nd overall and another age group win. It was a great day, my family was there, my sister had a great day, leading most of the women's bike segment. No complaints from me.