Sunday, August 24, 2008

2nd...Again. Fastest Bike Split.

First off...check out this custom tuxedo I had made for me...don't hate, appreciate.
 
Very few times do you have a race where everything works, the engine burns red hot, but not hot enough to meltdown. Those times represent maximizing your training, and potential for that particular day or race. Headed down to the "Root" for some good old sprint race action. I knew going in that the competition would be tough, in addition I had one of the worst meltdowns at this race in 2007.

In 2006 I was 2nd overall with a great day and have really struggled to find that level of racing since. In 2007 I was tired from the first 500 yards in the swim and backslid on the bike and run, a horrible day in my mind. I wanted redemption. Lucky for me, there were alot of the same racers in 2008 that passed me in 2007.

Despite not swimming all week, pathetic I know, I had a decent swim. I cam out of the water 3rd and was able to lap a few of the people I was keeping my eye on for later in the race. A fast T1 moved me to 2nd starting the bike. I noticed a group of three cyclists behind me on the first turn and decided my strategy needed to be "out of sight out of mind." For the next 15 minutes I rode on the very tip of saddle hammering the pedals, not moving my head or body as to not disrupt any airflow. I felt good, despite doing a 75 mile ride through 2 rainstorms 2 days before.

At the turn around I waited and waited to see those cyclist coming in the opposite direction and gauge the distance. I was pretty pleased with myself when I saw I had detonated them as the nearest cyclist was almost a mile behind. Despite my hard effort on the bike I did not catch my friend, Geoff, that kid is racing well this year.

Coming into T2 a man on a 4 wheeler with a video camera was taking some action shots. He drove his 4 wheeler right through transition, to my bike spot and left right on my heels as I ran out of transition...betcha that's never happened to anyone else.

On the run I felt the best I ever have. I saw that Geoff was about a minute ahead and running well. I too was running my best but probably not well enough to run a minute of a person that runs 1:20's for half marathons. I cruised the first of two loops on the run, no on was in sight behind me so I decided to enjoy the feeling of running so well, and blew a kiss to my cheering family...back to business, I ran hard the second loop, fast for sure but never really found that pain factor that is usually the agonizing run leg.

I like this new run speed and strength, I could definitely get used to it. Since there were other heats I didn't want a "sleeper" to sneak in so I sprinted the last 200 meters to the finish. With 50 yards to go I spotted my long lost bitterroot friend, "Akon" Reily, it was good to see him. I also heard 2 different people yell "don't do a John Rambo", and "no mooning." WTF. I settled for a big smile, and pumping my hands above my head, fingers pointed, alternating, as if poking the sky. I don't know why I did it, it just felt good to finally have the fitness, strength, and run that I knew I was capable of.

I ended up 2nd overall, winning my age division, a minute behind my superstar/ironman friend, and over 4 minutes up on those who beat me last year. I also avenged my loss at Seeley, by beating last week's race winner my a few minutes. The day was amazing, one that I will remember forever. The strength on the bike and the run where things I dream of...I finally lived it. I finally go the monkey off my back and broke my personal best of 2 years...We go up from here.
PS The back of my custom designed shirt is just as cool...FACT
Not to be outdone, my sister raced to a strong third place finish in the women's division. Another great day for me and my family. These are they types of days I live for as an athlete, a chance to be at my best and feel super human. Although I did not win the race, I gave my best and maximized my potential for a given race. A day like this proves all the sacrifice is always worth it in the end.