Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ready to Face My Biggest Challenge...I am Humbled

The minute you don't respect this race's power, it will break your spirit...
  This race brings the greatest amount of physical and mental stress I have ever felt...I love this race becasue it brings me to the edge, makes me live my weaknesses...It makes me feel alive.



Two weeks out from one of the biggest races of the year. The Grand Columbian Half Ironman. I have been putting in my miles, consistently, I feel more prepared for this year's race than any other race. Despite a busy schedule at school and work, my training has been consistently big in terms of miles. I don't feel the pressure of past years and my running has progressed nicely, I am anxious to run. I feel amazing and am ready to throw down.
This race, simply stated, is tough. The bike course has a tough climb right at the start, the rest of the ride is a fight against rolling hills and wind. Only the top riders average 20+ miles per hour. The run is usually hot, but pretty unique being right next to the Columbia River...a punishing hill is at mile 13 on run. By the way, the camping is pretty primo too.

Some races, as is the case with this one, just have a special feel to them. This race carries a very special power. Maybe it's the venue, the expo, the camping, the course, whatever it may be, it is something that I haven't felt very many times. This is a race that if you don't respect its power, it will humble you to your lowest point. It has happened to me...twice.
I did this race in 2005 as a tri rookie. Going in I didn't think much of it and went after it from the start, pressing the pace all the way on the bike. I threw caution to the wind and rode hammer down. I didn't respect the bike course and was broken down on the run at mile 8. The worst mental fatigue and pressure was saddled upon my shoulders. My spirit was fractured...I was walking. I averaged 9 minute miles after walking on the run. I dragged myself to line in 30-something place, I was humbled. On top of that I had to live with that experience and doubt in my mind all winter.
In 2006 I had respect for the race, but not enough. I had my fastest half iron swim (29:50), but stayed Conservative on the bike. I was off and running in 17th place. The pain and fatigue returned, I cracked under the immense pressure again, this time at mile 10 or so. I fell off the pace and faded to 27th give or take a few. Again, the feelings of cracking have been with me for 2 years. I did end up 2nd in my age division but the race was still a mental and physical disaster.
Granted the first two years I did the race I was young, by long course tri standards. My body didn't have the miles in it that a strong race on this course demands. This year I feel as if I am ready to meet this challenge. My body responds to training, volume and intensity, as well as it ever has. I have put together a consistent string to races and training session of running well off the bike. I know it will hurt, but my body is ready. I am in a good place mentally.

I look forward to traveling with my teammate Geoff, camping, seeing friends, and making new ones. I look forward to going to my limits, living a dream, and crossing the finish line with a smile. Simply, I am ready for Grand Columbian. This time will be different, I have paid my dues to this race, I respect it fully. I am Humbled.