Friday, December 19, 2008

Winter Training

I train all winter for the first chance in the spring to strip off my winter clothes and ride like a wild man...

 
There is something special about base training. There is something about adverse weather and big miles that make me feel good. Base training provides opportunities to rest my mind and body from the rigorous racing weekends and intensity training. Base is the time to skate ski, a sport I am absolutely facinated by. After skiing last season I see why nordic skiers are considered the bests athletes in the world...period. Women's Olympic Biathlon Champ Below:


Base is the time to ride and run in crazy weather. If you live in Montana you know how crazy it can get, I love it, it makes me tough. I still remember every detail of the 100 mile ride I did in Bozeman in the winter of 2005-2006, it was epic.

I can't explain why I do the things I do...


...I do them because they are what a wild man would do.



Base allows time to change things in training and diet that are necessary for next year's success. Base is the time to enjoy the miles and being able to exercise. Base is the time to get back to the bike trainer and add the stability to joints and muscles. I always use skiers and the regime they go through all summer to ski well in the winter. I'm the opposite, I work hard all winter to have top fitness in the warm months. More importantly, I know that each winter is invaluable in terms of aerobic development. The miles put in this year may not payoff until a few years down the road, pay up now.

More importantly I train the miles and hours in cold weather, on the treadmill, and the hated bike trainer, doing things others do not do, because my winter "self" will determine my summer "self." My favorite part of the year is when I get strip off all my winter clothes and ride topless at 20+ mph thinking, "man this is fun." Let the countdown to the return of summer "self" begin.