Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stamp It...Validated

I have been in this position before...I did not race the Grizzly Triathlon in 2007 because of illotibial band tracking problems in my right knee. I used the feeling of missing out to fuel my subsequent rise from the depth of self pity and sorrow to race in my first men's elite heat in 2008, accomplishing half-decade long dream. Yesterday, I witnessed many of the extraordinarily, yet common to triathlon, moments. I saw people pushing up and through their own limits.

I saw hundreds of faces twisted under the stress and agony of self induced suffering. Shryock's face at the 3 mile mark of the run was indescribable with words, but I knew exactly what he was feeling. I again found myself left out of the race due to recent knee tracking problems (this time in the left knee). I can't accurately convey what I was feeling other than that I felt trapped between two worlds.

The first, a world that I choose to live in (triathlon world), a world that I can excel, relatively, in my own right as a person, and athlete. The second, a world that I am a temporary visitor to, a world that sees life (and racers) passing by. I stood around, in the second world, directing runners, wishing I was in the triathlon world. I came to the conclusion, that I have two choices, stand around (literally) and feel sorry for myself, or use this opportunity to its maximum.

Right now I have the opportunity to better my triathlon racing and fitness, without actually focusing on triathlon. I can explore alternative methods of training, correct my obvious issues and muscle imbalances, build gear bending time trial strength by being very diligent with my weight circuits, and take my nutrition to the next insane level. All of which I am, and have been doing.

In the day to day grind it easy to get caught up in the mindset, "am I the only doing these seemingly crazy things to be or progress as a triathlete?" When you are not surrounded by like minded people that is a come thought. However, at the race everything gets straightened out, priorities re-aligned, motivations restored, commitment renewed. When I as working on the run course I was also asking myself the above question...Hoffman ran by, he does more than me. Jensen, Shryock and Halpin pass, they do it. L'Hueruex runs by, what he does makes my training fall in the "normal range."

The racers that follow them, same M.O. in sports, all validating and reclassifying the once thought "craziness" to normal, systematic, healthy behaviors of a triathlete...of which I will soon returning to. Validated... period. No more questions.