Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Big Sky State Games

First I have to start by giving a HUGE shout out - thank you to everyone that provided the generous resort-like accomidations, super loud cheering, delicious food, and entertaining company. Corrie, Carrie, Chris, and PJ, thank you all so much!!!!
  Last weekend was Montana's State Games. The race is a mix of distances, it starts with a 2 loop, 800 meter swim, a 16 mile very hilly bike, and then the typical 5k run. Being that I race a lot throughout the year, I am familiar with the people who are fast swimmers, bikers, runners etc. I am sure people know me, it's the unspoken rule that you know who you are racing but never tip your hand by letting them know that you are focused on them. However, it does come down to how fast I can do the race, so the other people cannot be the only focus of a race strategy.
  With that said, I was aware that one of the fastest swimmers in the state was at the race, I know he is swimming really fast this year because I watched him rip the swim field apart the week before, duly noted. I knew he was going to gap everyone in the swim, including me, so my strategy was to start as close to him as possible, find his draft right away and hold it as long as I could. Drafting in the swim is completely legal (unlike drafting on the bike) and common practice. I knew that every second I could hold in his draft would cut a second off my swim deficit.
  The gun started and there was a mad dash of legs, arms, and thrashing bodies diving into the water. I found the draft quickly, even using 15% less energy, thanks to the draft, required full throttle on my part. I hit the first buoy sharing the lead swimmers draft. Along the back stretch I lost contact with first and had to slip onto the second swimmer's draft. We made one more right turn to come back towards the beach for our beach sprint that separated lap one from two. I hit the beach in third, Chandler (lead swimmer) already had 10 or 15 seconds on the field, I looked over my shoulder, saw Brad Z and was satisfied that the lead 5 had blown apart the big pack that held together the first few minutes of the swim.
  I hit the water and resumed swimming. I hate beach sprints because I feel so tired after entering for the second time. The blood rushes to my legs for the sprint on the beach and the next second it has to be in my shoulders, that takes a little time to adjust. Anyway, I lost the draft of the second person and swam the remaining lap of the swim by myself, trying to put distance on Brad in 4th.
  I could clearly see the swim exit and was waiting for the lead swimmers to exit, when I saw this I would count in my head and try to establish the gaps. I was very happy when I exited the water only 34 seconds behind super swimmer Chandler. I knew I could catch him. I could also hear my entourage cheering me on, that always feels great, I really wanted to make them proud.
  I (uncharacteristically) lost a little time in T-1, by the time I exited in third, the first two swimmers (Chandler, and a relay team) where out of sight. I had my work cut out for me, but I was confident the P3 would reel the lead two back in.
  I did not make up much time the first mile and a half because there were a lot of twists and turns exiting the park and making our way to the main road. Once on the main road I put the pressure to the pedals determined to catch the lead two. My legs did not feel super strong, they lagged a little on accelerations and burned more than usual. I knew, for whatever reason, today I did not have top form.

Determined to not let tired legs hold me back I pressed on full steam. At mile 2 I used a road mile marker to take a split on Chandler, 23 seconds. By mile 3 I had closed the gap. I shifted down a gear and continued to turn over my FSA chain ring. I

 came up in Chandler's slipstream (a legal pass is required within 15 seconds of entering another rider's slipstream) at the last second I swung out of the draft and hammered the cranks. I don't "lallygag around" when passing because passing quickly creates confusion to the passed rider and discourages drafting. I passed Chandler turning over about 26 mph, slipped back to the right, and continued to pressure the pedals up the hill. I came up out of the aerobars and summited the top of the hill.

My legs hurt but I continued to ride hard, now with 3rd place safely gapped I set my mind on catching first. Now don't get me wrong, I DO NOT dislike people who are one teams, I respect their effort in training and competing. However, I dislike the idea in general of teams in triathlon. Triathlon is 1 person doing 3 events, not 3 people doing 1 event. I was determined to catch the lead biker (on a relay team) because in all honesty a relay team does not deserve the honor, cheers, rewards, and prestige of riding at the front of a triathlon. In all fairness Chandler deserved those cheers and prestige because he was the first individual competitor at that checkpoint. I feel like Chandler did not get his dues that he deserved as the TRUE leader of the race.
  I used this as motivation bridge up to the relay team member, at mile 5 I ripped by the lead biker doing a full effort pull, taking back the lead and returning the prestige back to where it really belongs (not on me specifically, but on the triathletes that have trained for 3 disciplines, no offense to relays).

Happy that I had made my way to the front, very satisfying feeling to pass people and get to the front of the race, I continued the pattern of climb a hill, descend and repeat. This really is a brutal bike course as only 3 of the 16 miles are flat. At the turnround I took time splits and noted positions. Team biker in 2nd, and Chandler had moved to 4th. Brad had bridged up to Chandler and rode slightly ahead in 3rd place.

On the way back I had the hills again, this time however I climbed up the side that I descended the way out to the turn around. I continued to put time into the relay biker and Chandler, but I had a slight problem at mile 11...Brad was in my slipstream (riding legal distance). I knew he would be content to stay there and try and make this a runners race. I had only one chance if I wanted to win.

I had to wait until the last hill at mile 12.5 and launch and attack and try to create a time buffer. I hit the bottom of the hill, came out of the saddle and gave the cranks everything I had. I did not have the usual power and strength, it hurt tremendously to put in this effort as like I said before, my legs were tired today. I looked back at the top of the hill, the attacked had worked, but not to the extent I thought I needed. I had put about 20 or 25 seconds into Brad. I live for the feeling of coming into T2 in first place.

I feel like there is something special about being the first biker back. I like the loudness of the crowd and personal pride of knowing I did something special by riding past those that left before me. This was no different, the crowd cheered as I made my way back into the park, it felt amazing to be me at that exact moment. I hit Transition 2 in first but feeling very tired. I made a mistake and went down the wrong row so I had to continue down the incorrect row and go back up the correct one.

By the time I exited Transition 2 I botched my lead and Brad was right with me. My tired legs did not want to run as fast as I wanted (and needed them to). Brad, figuratively speaking, killed me quickly by dealing a clean and crisp pass. I tired to hang with him, I couldn't on this day, and slipped farther and farther away, losing a few seconds with each passing minute.
  I ran the best I could, safely in 2nd but hurting very badly, until I reached the turn around. Every so often there are races when for whatever reason I am tired, this really draws out the run, every minute stretched. I took a walk break up the last big hill on the run to consolidate my tired legs. I finished 2nd overall after running a 22 minute 5k, it was much worse in my mind, it felt like a 40 minute 5k because my legs were so tired. ha ha

I don't want to sound negative in this blog, yes I know I could have done better, but less than ideal things happen. I did my best for having tired legs. I am happy with 2nd place and a gold medal in my age division. It's easy to be hard on oneself, "should of done this, should of done that" but I have learned that gets you no where, at makes you look like an idiot. Sure I wanted to win overall, very badly in fact, but I am happy that I was able to find my way to the front and lead the race until the run, and I'm positive that those there watching me (Corrie and her family) are just as proud of me, even though I was second.
  **Very tired at the finish line :)
  Aside from the race, I had a fabulous time with Corrie and her family. I was treated so well the whole trip, great food, prime accommodations, and lots of fun. I could never thank Corrie or her family enough for making the State Games trip so great. But I will continue to try, Thank You!!