Monday, July 27, 2009

Federal Escape Triathlon

I drove 5.5 hours to Yakima Washington... so that I could ride in the car for another 2.5 hours... so I could "Escape!" at the Federal Escape Triathlon...

***Post race, medals are my favorite award!

It was worth every minute of driving, the race was a great test, Kevin and I cleaned up at the awards ceremony, and I felt I showed that Montana people can compete with Washington triathletes. By the way, being the only Montana person in the race made me think of this issue: I am legitimately "Montana Made," I'm sorry, but if you are not born in Montana it's not right (in my opinion) to make that claim.

The 4 day trip started on Thursday morning. After the first few hours of driving I decided to pit stop and enjoy a less-known gem of the northwest. The Trails of Coeur D' Alene is a trail system of smooth pavement that spans 70 miles. The last time I was on this trail was in 2005 in which I rode 65 miles of it with my friend Eric. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to ride it again, so I kitted up, pulled the P3 off the back of the car, stashed a few of the snacks Corrie had sent with me in my jersey pocket and set out.

The ride is pretty amazing, the trail is so smooth, the sights are great, it's pretty cool to ride through Wallace and the other little towns aboard the Cervelo. There was very little traffic on the trail which was also great. I did an easy 25 miles before changing out of my 53X11 Coffee cycling kit, reloading the bike, and starting towards Yakima. Once arriving in Yakima I was treated superbly by my hosts, Kevin and his family. Me and Kevin arrived in Seattle on Friday night for packet pickup and to scope the venue. We laid low Friday night after the drive, prepared the Cervelos, and rested up. The hospitality continued as I had my own room in Seattle the night before the race, thanks everyone for your generosity.

We arrived at the race venue Saturday morning at 5:45 a.m to secure good transition locations and not feel rushed. We set up our two bikes on the end of a rack snugged tight to each other (protect each other from the bike smashers always playin' demo derby in the bike racks, oh sure that 30 lb mountain bike can be jammed into the slot right next to my Cervelo...lame).
***Bodymarking in the transition while Kev pumps up the "murder rims."

The best way to describe how I felt before the race was a state of calm confidence. Despite being a long way from home (the only Montana person racing), not having run anything over 4.2 miles since my knee injury, I was confident that my swim-bike combination would bring me to the front or close to it. I was nervous but not a terrified nervous that ceases most people, I was joking around before the race, but in my mind I knew I was ready to burn some people up.

***Pre race muscle pose off...we tied.

The men's race started with our toes snugged up to the waterline for an out of water entry. These types always get messy, I hit the water running amidst thrashing and shoving swimmers. I have very long legs so I can run further out before diving into the water than most when entering the water. I kept running 3 steps after most had submerged, I actually dove over the back of a couple people that were in front of me to gain a few spots.

Everyone started incredibly fast, like always, and I found myself well back in the pack at the first buoy. I made the sharp left amongst arms and kicking feet. After making it halfway down the backstretch people started to settle down and I began to swim past them. After making two more turns around buoys, I hit the shore for the short beach sprint that separated the two laps of the swim. I was able to count the places ahead of me while I ran, I had moved comfortably up to 8th after the first lap.
***Beach sprint after swim lap one

I swam easy after entering the water again, allowing my body to adjust back to swimming and saving energy for the other segments of the race. I swam comfortably hard the remaining portion of lap two, passing 2 people and being passed by 1, to exit a couple minutes off the lead in 7th place.

***Exit of swim, heading towards a fast T-1

 I have always stressed how important transitions are, this is the ultimate example. I passed one guy on the shore run to get to transition, 6th place. I had a clean strip of the wet suit, put my helmet and sunglasses on and was exiting transition.

At the mount line 2 people where mounting their bikes, I used my signature move of running well past the mount line. Doing so gets me clear of the congestion and allows me to mount my bike rolling at a decent speed. The two racers jammed at the mount line paid for their mistake as a shoved my bike ahead of me so I could skinny myself up and squeeze between them before mounting. I slipped between them and landed aboard the P3.

Their mistake (and my transition awareness) lost them the place. I had moved up by 2 spots to 4th. Once on the bike course I hammered it full speed to try and get to the lead. At mile 2 I caught the 3rd place guy, passed decisively, and kept the throttle at full. At mile 4 I caught 2nd, and shortly after, the leader. It felt great to have found the lead, I have never done that in a Washington race. Unfortunately it did not last long.

On the tail end of the first of 4 laps a traffic cop distinctly waived me to turn left, subsequently exiting the race course. Second place followed me. After riding for 45 seconds to a minute I heard 2nd place yell at me to turn around. We back tracked to the cop to get back on course, he didn't say anything...wtf? I had lost 3 spots by being sent off course, 3rd and 4th had stayed on course and now 2nd place was ahead of me as we turned around. It would have been very easy to be mad with what was happening, but that wouldn't change anything...I used my frustration to thrash my cranks in an attempt to repass those I already have.

On lap two of the bike I caught and repassed the 3rd and 4th place riders. After a few high speed corners I had bridged back to the leader (the guy that went off course with me) we exchanged a few comments to pump each other up after being sent off course by the cop. On lap three of the bike the 2nd place guy, also on a P3, went by me, I couldn't hold with him and lost a few seconds on each stretch.

On the final hill of lap three I down shifted to a mangling of gears and metal. NO!!!!! I did not come 400 miles and ride to the front to have a mechanical failure! My chain had spliced one side. I was stopped on the side of the road trying to remedy, I watched 3rd and 4th place go by. I settled for adjusting my barrel adjuster and jamming the broken pin into the compromised half chain link. I was very careful to keep my bike in a gear that kept the chain totally straight as to not stress that link. I didn't shift very much for the next few miles as I ground the pedals up the short hills. I was extremely happy when I overcame the adversity again (for the third time in the race) to pass the 3rd and 4th rider, moving me back to 2nd place.

I entered transition 2 in second overall. I remember hearing two things as I put on socks and shoes (I had new shoes). The first was, "good job young man," from a person directly behind me. The second was from Annie (Kev's gf) "Bryan! You are killin' it."

***Starting my first run lap, 2nd place overall gong into the run

I exited transition 2 still in 2nd place, but not knowing what the run held for me as I have only run twice a week, 4 miles maximum once, the entire 2009.

The bad thing about being up at the front is the people run fast, and the places change quickly if you are not running well. I found this out as I lost two spots on the first 2.9 mile laps. I was on total cruise control, minding every feeling I had in my knee. I was in new territory for running post injury. I lost another spot at mile 3.5 and another soon after. I continued to run my best and cling to every spot I could. I lost another two spots to runners that were flying before entering the park for the finishing mile.
I sprinted to the finish to stop the clock at 2:07, good enough for 8th place overall and 1st in my age division. I consider this a major success because 1. I lost minutes by being sent off course and having to stop to fix the chain. 3rd place overall was a 2:05, well within my capabilities had I not lost those minutes. 2. The knee did not flare up too badly on the run. 3 I found my way to the front of the race, twice, a new feat racing in Washington. Finally, despite the trouble, I had a great race, my computer showed an average of 23.5 mph, my swim went well, my transitions were very fast, and despite losing all those spots I still ran 6:55 mile pace for by far the longest run of 2009.
 
***The aftermath of the awards ceremony.

It was a very successful and fun trip. Kevin and I both had grea races, both receiving medals and trophies for our efforts. In the end the true satisfaction does not come from what place I was, the true satisfaction came in the results of being able to race (and keep up with) most of the contenders, being able to run without severe pain, traveling, spending time with friends, and overall taking satisfaction in another trip of "living the dream" life of a triathlete.