Tuesday, July 20, 2010

State Games Road Race



Last Saturday was the State Games road race. Corrie was fresh off her marathon, and I was racing in a triathlon the next day, but not to be deterred we decided to sign up. It is a thin line to walk, or ride, when you are racing the day before a race, but I was confident I could remain under control and not cause any damage to my tri performance.

We arrived at the race, got everything set up, and went over a few race tactics. Corrie has been riding her bike a lot this summer so I knew if she raced smart she had a chance to do very well. We got very lucky in the fact that the men and women started and raced in the same group; this allowed me to ride domestique, working for Corrie.



*Rocking the Montana State Kit

The race started with a slow roll out, we were not supposed to have any hard efforts for the first quarter mile, disregarding the director’s orders three or four people took off immediately and gapped the group. By “no hard efforts” the director must have meant “attack immediately,” or “don’t listen to a word I am saying.”


After we made it out of the slow zone, I told Corrie “stay on my wheel, I will take us to the front.” I used a few passing riders to tow our team of two up through the field. By the second mile of the 20 kilometer ride we had made it to the front and regrouped with the initial rule breakers. I looked over my shoulder, Corrie was right on my hip. Corrie and I sat content near the back of the front group when a guy put in a solo attack, he was gone before I could make any sort of covering move from the back of the field. The group was content to let him go because no one seemed to even notice, or care, that he was leaving. I wasn’t going to chase him down so he road solo the rest of the way for the win. The action of the race was in our chase pack.

*Very back of the peloton

 
*Making our way through the back of the field, patiently

For the next 5 miles or so the group did not work together at all, in fact, I sat at the front of the pack pulling everyone. I wasn’t riding hard, I was actually doing a great pre-triathlon pace, I had intentions of watching over one person (not winning the race) so I told Corrie to hold my wheel and I raised the pace a little bit. It was a pretty good strategy because a few guys and all the remaining women contenders were spit off the back of our group unable to hold the pace. All I had to do was protect Corrie the remaining 10k or so and she would win.

*At the front of the field, planning our finishing attack before closing the gap to the break away

Our group was now four riders. There were a couple times when the two men tried to put in attacks on Corrie and me, the gap would materialize but I would get Corrie on my wheel and pull us back up to the pack over the next half mile or so. For the last 4 miles I stuck to the leaders’ wheels and Corrie stayed tucked into my draft. At mile 10 one of the leaders went to the back of our group. I knew he was going to the back of the pack to rest and then launch a sprint attack at the line. I couldn’t believe it when I found out he wasn’t going to attack at all, in fact our race strategy had cracked him and he fell off the group.

*A windy but very scenic course

With a mile to go the group was three, I made a quick assessment of the situation. Other than the cracking guy that was just dropped, no one was in a threatening position of attack. My pace setting earlier in the race had splintered off racers along the course, perfect. Corrie had the women’s race in the bag so my job was done. Just then the other guy in our group made an attack and opened a gap. I tried to cover it and pull Corrie and myself back up with him. I ran out of room because he crossed the line in 2nd overall, Corrie and I rolled over the line 2 seconds later.

*Our cheer squad

I wasn’t disappointed, I was happy for the guy who got 2nd because he seemed genuinely happy with his race, and I was very happy that Corrie won the women’s race! It was a great day, Corrie won, I was able to help, Corrie’s family was giving great cheers, and I had the perfect amount of effort for a pre-triathlon spin.

*Treats, water, and awards


After the race Corrie received a well-deserved winner’s medal, and I received a medal for my 3rd place in the men’s race. Medals are sweeeetttt!!!!