Friday, July 23, 2010

State Games Triathlon




Waking up at 3:45am for a race is tough, but it is a necessary sacrifice. Every time I wake up super early the first thing I say to myself is, “winners do the things that others don’t want to.” That usually gets me out of bed with motivation. I had not slept well the few nights leading up to the race, and I had been getting up really early, despite my motivating quote I was extremely tired. The fatigue was not physical, my muscles felt fine, the fatigue I felt was more mental. Getting to the race and getting set up was difficult for this race. I decided to swim from transition one to the swim start as I had done the previous year, narrowly making the pre race meeting and swim start.




Once the countdown started I let the race take over, 5…4…3…2…1…bang! I ran thigh deep into the water and slipped under with a streamline. I decided to swim relatively easy and save energy for the bike and run. My swimming has been nothing less than phenomenal this year (my opinion only) and I knew even while resting I would come out near the front. After the first loop of the swim I was in second place. I saw the lead swimmer sprinting down the beach as he put time into me, and the field.

I ran easy along the beach and re-entered the water for lap two about 25 seconds down to first. I lifted the pace slightly for the remaining 400 meters of the swim, gradually pulling back time from the leader. I swam comfortably hard during the swim and when my hand hit bottom, I was very pleased to see I had closed the gap to super swim Chandler to less than 10 seconds. My swim came through again, what a year for the swim!



I knew I could scuff off most, if not all, of those 10 seconds in transition one. Ankle zippers, goggles, cap, suit, OFF. Race belt, glasses, helmet, GONE. I left transition 5 seconds or so out of the lead. The first part of the 16 mile bike course is flat but has numerous twists and turns. Once on the bike my awareness was raised because the lead cyclist was doing two things that I found odd.

The first, he was sitting up and hardly pedaling, the second, he was looking over his shoulder at every turn. It only took a few seconds for me to figure out his plan. He was waiting for me, so that he could draft me. I knew that he was going to latch onto my wheel because his hope to win was during the swim and I spoiled that. His constant look backs were assurance he would be ready to get on my wheel when I passed.






For the first four miles on the bike road is relatively flat, I pulled this guy on my wheel for every one of them. He was definitely gaining an advantage by being in my draft, whether the draft was legal distance or illegal is up for debate. I won’t accuse anyone of cheating because he can’t defend himself here. At mile four the climbs start. It was at this point that I decided that I was not going to tow this guy (legal or illegal) through the whole bike ride, and two, I would ride full power until he either lost my wheel or I detonated. At the second climb I was able to shed my shadow and go clear.








Happy with my efforts I kept the pace high for the remaining 4.2 miles of hills to the bike turn-around. At the bike turn-around I took time checks, second place had slipped to around 50 seconds and third was about 1.5 minutes. I retraced my route back up and over the hills that I had climbed on the way to the turn-around while putting time into the field. I rode pretty hard focusing on staying smooth, and staying out of the wind. On the last open corner I snuck a peak, no one in sight, nice. I made my way pack to transition two, greeted by my cheering squad: Corrie, PJ, and the Fimrites. Saaaawwweeeet.



I made a smooth T2 and left for the 5k. The guy in second place (and swim leader) must be a pretty bad mutha around these parts because people thought he should be in the race lead. They knew that someone fast and in front had to be him because at least 5 people called me by his name as I ran by. My name is Bryan, and I am spoiling the race, thank you very much, suckers. At mile 1 I felt labored, but not in trouble. At mile 2 I was running tough. I thought I had the race sealed up. Another mile and it would be my victory party at the line.


*The Murder Machine sits alone in T2 awaiting the chasers 







I re-entered the park for the final lap around the lake. I knew 2nd place was closing fast because I saw him at the run turn-around. I think he came off the bike in 3rd, but he was running super fast, like sub 5:30 fast. With less than a mile to go I heard his footsteps, a minute later he made the pass. I lost contact with him as he ran to the win, I settled for 2nd place, the swim leader came in for 3rd.






Despite thinking I had the win, I wasn’t really disappointed with second place. I had a great race, my swim and bike were awesome, my cheering section was the best at the race, and I have never lead that race that late. I know that with another year or two of run training I will see drastic improvement in my ability to match the swiftest runners in the field. Thanks to everyone that cheered me on and made my trip awesome, PJ’s triathlon apartment and hospitality, the Fimrites for their cheers, and Corrie for all her support. Thank you all so much.
*The Podium 3


*An excellent cheering squad

For me, I know what I need to do, I am going to a running base camp to find my running speed…