Saturday, September 15, 2012

Big Finale: Race 5 of 5 - Grand Columbian


Grand Columbian is one of my favorite races.  I had planned to make this race 5 of 6 in the big finale.  The week leading up the race forest fires raged close to the race site, smoked clouded the area, and the air quality was down-graded to "poor."

In the past few races my triathlon-destiny was telling me it's time to "press and keep going."  It was hard at times, but I listened and things turned out fantastic.  My gut was telling me to let go of the dreams of Grand Columbian 2012. There are serious, and long lasting, health consequences to physical exertion in smoke, of which I am not willing to put myself through.  It wasn't a hard decision.

Being lucky enough to win an event here at this race was a dream come true.  I still dream of winning the olympic distance tri.  That doesn't change.  My friend, Ayla, and I agreed that we will pass on the 2012 race considering the air quality.  With a little luck, we will return hungrier, and faster in 2013.

Yeee haw!