Monday, October 22, 2012

Northwest Swim Championships


This event means a lot to me, but not for the reasons you might think.  The week before this championship meet I was swimming personal bests, check that, crushing my personal bests in all my events.  I was confident and ready to get the best out of myself at this big meet.  

*Evan and I on day one

Much like life, sports have a way of shaking you up.  I got sick right before the meet...that's life, that's sports.  This trip was special to me not for the success, the best performance I could muster was a second place.  Quite frankly though, the awards don't ultimately matter.  The fact that the best award I won was red as opposed to blue doesn't matter. What matters is that I was able to spend two days with two people who are like brothers to me, in addition to spending time with dozens of other friends and competitors.

*Ev and Kev with me on day two

It's important to remember that there will always be more swim meets, there won't always be more chances to make memories with people you love and cherish.  To have Kevin and Evan with me for the two days more than made up for me being sick and under performing.  

*Jodi and her mom sent me a pic of their decorated chalkboard, it was a priceless gesture. :)

*This is serious place, the Olympic Trials were held here

It was so great to travel with Evan, we had a so many laughs that my stuffed up head hurt from all the laughter. Evan's mom was so generous in sending us off with plenty of treats and home cooking.  Little things mean the most, those little things like sharing time with Evan and his mom taking the time to take care of us, means the world to us. A big thank you Evan and his family.

*The darker pool, the dive tank, was the warmest so that's why more people are in it warming up and cooling down.

Before I say this, let me say I cleared this with Kevin:  Evan and I were competitors and Kevin was a spectator.  I am still working on him and convincing him to take part in the meets.  The funny joke is the fact that Kevin did everything but compete.  We got to talking and I said, "Kevin, you're here, you have your stuff, go get into the pool and see what it's like."  He swam his laps in the warmup pool with Evan and I.  Most people won't see the humor in this because it was a candid moment between us three, but we had a good laugh about it.

*All the countries at the 2012 Olympic Trials


*Long underground corridor...the swimmer's walk out.


Another special moment was during Evan's 1500m freestyle.  Kevin and I counted his laps so we had a long time to chat about sports and life.  Kevin is an insightful guy who is down to earth.  It's always nice to converse about things with him.  Again, probably another candid moment that most won't understand.  A big thank you to Kevin and Anne for putting us up in the swimmer's suite.

*Everyone's favorite is in Lane #5  :)

*The best I could do was a 2nd place in the 100 individual medley

*Evan won his age division in both the 800 and 1500 free--we both wore red caps so the pics get confusing

Evan did great in his events.  He won his age division in both the 800 and 1500 meter freestyle (and I counted every single lap).  I was able to beat him in the 400 freestyle but he quickly repaid the favor and out-touched me in the 100 backstroke.  He did great and had a very fun time. Together, him and I left with 11 awards of various colors, not a bad day at all.  We left with a memory full of fun times and belly full of treats, that's true success.

*Working the 400 individual medley, my toughest race, I finished 3rd.

*Happy to be part of the adventures, even if they weren't my fastest times.

*Epic picture taken by Evan on the way home

*Driving into the sunset

Thanks for reading, thanks for supporting, and thanks for sharing.