Sunday, June 28, 2015

EWU Triathlon

In 2013 I finished 2nd place at this race, and I have wanted to win ever since. I can't tell you why, but I wanted it, bad, and I knew it would eat at me until I went back and got what I came for.  

 
In 2013 the race took place in a complete downpour. During the race the lead was constantly revolving between the top five racers which included Alex, my friend, Brian Brown, and a couple others. No one was safe, we were ripping through the rain in a winner take all. I had a good race finishing 2nd place to Alex. It is still one of my most fun head-to-head races. 
 
*2013: I had a good race, but the win slipped away late in the race, and that never settled well with me.
 
I got to the 2015 race super early, first one in the building early. I had already prepared my plan for my warm-up, my swim, my transitions, my bike, and my run. All I had to do was execute it.  

*Murder Machine waiting for them to open the field house
 
Everything was perfect at the race. I was in the first heat so I got to warm-up in the pool until my start. I swam 1,000m warming up with all strokes and I was loving it. My red Hammer Nutrition tri suit also performed flawlessly in the pool.

 
This race had some competition to it. There were some of the EWU cross country team competing, as well as last year's defending champion. At the end of the day, I can only do my best and wind it up as tight as I can.  My swim was excellent, I left the first few walls behind most of the swimmers, but I came on strong. I felt fast and smooth and left with a good lead on the swim. One of my best pool-tri swims ever.

*Thanks to Hammer for all their great stuff!
 
The bike here is a short down hill and few corners to start, then it is full throttle in the aero until the turn-around.  I held in the aero position and in the big chain ring the entire bike with exception of the very beginning and very end. Last year's winner took a little time back, but I was well in command of the charging chasers.
 
I finished my bike and transitioned. I knew I had the defending champ on my heels, and a chase pack of college runners begging for a piece of me. But, once I put on my shoes and started running I repeated one thing to myself.
 
"No one is going to beat me, just watch." 
 
The run got hot, but I stayed focused. I kept my feet pounding on the hot pavement and my focus forward while holding my discomfort at bay. At the turn-around I got a good look at how everything was shaping up. I was able to put my chasers away and knew even with the collegiate running speed behind me, I would not be caught. Mentally I had already won, and I immediately felt that constantly-gnawing weight of getting 2nd place in 2013 be replaced with satisfaction of completing a two-year goal. It was a great moment and fun race.   
 
*Robert (left) always gives me advice. Everyone knows how much I love advice, but I get a kick out of his grandfatherly-advice and wanted to get his picture. He is a nice man.
 

I am thankful for such a fun day. It was nice to see the Brodacious side of Ferocious Brosious again. That side of my personality gets things done, and it not just closes chapters, but slams them shut. I slammed the book on this two-year goal and it feels great.  New catch phrase for this race. "No one is beating me, just watch." :)