Saturday, June 20, 2015

Yakima Training Camp and Moses Lake Tri

 The plan for the week was to do my annual training camp in Yakima with lots of heat, miles, and sun. I then planned to cap it off with the Moses Lake Triathlon to complete a big week. 
 
*Yakima, WA
 
The past few years I haven't seen my friends at my Yakima camp, so this year I did an excellent job and reached out to them to tell them I missed them. Although I did not see any of them, as I haven't for the past 3 years of camps, I am happy with the results in reaching out to them. Hopefully that will jumpstart our friendships again. Fingers crossed.
 
The camp started with a 100 degree temperature on a day that I did an outdoor swim at Franklin Pool and then a 55-mile bike ride that was so hot my bike tire melted into deformity.  From the second I got there things felt like they were going wrong. I didn't feel good being in town and before I even started training I felt tired. I missed my friends badly, my water stop for my long bike ride was out of business, I didn't get the hotel room I always get, and when I tried to change my tire I broke my only tire lever. 
 
With all that I came to my realization that my destiny was telling me something: This place that I used to think was so awesome, so fun, and so happy, is now a place that, well, sucks. So I left as quickly as I arrived in hopes of trying something different.
 
 
I chose to go to Moses Lake and spend a few days there training and getting ready for the race. It was great. I spent time with Ayla and her family; watched Dr. Phil with Grandma Wyman, and took Ayla's cousin on a training run showing him some workouts and giving him training advice.  I also reached out to my Moses Lake friend who I enjoy spending time with. I am very happy with everything, I am glad I left Yakima and tried different things this year. It was fun.
 
*Happy camper at the triathlon
 
*Thanks to the Wyman family, sorry for the dark picture
 
 
After a restful night, a lot of laughs, and a delicious Wyman Family lasagna, it was time for the race.  Ayla ran the 10K and did awesome. I was glad to get to watch her and cheer her on. 

 
The owner of this little cutie allowed me a photo opportunity with her baby bulldog. This was the cutest little dog ever, I wanted to take her home. 
 

I was also very happy to see my Hammer Teammates Richard and David Ling.  It was nice to catch up with the Ling Family. I am regretful I only get to see them once per year. By the way, I am so envious of David's hair. No matter what, it is effortlessly perfect, even during the triathlon.  I also appreciate that when I saw David on the run course we were both sporting Black Hammer Kits with lime green accents because we are awesome. He also provided me a good lead out during the swim.

*Note David's perfect hair before the race...

*...and after the race it was still perfect.

*Brosious: You turn that frown upside down!..

*That's better!
 
The swim of this race is always super competitive with very fast swimmers. I came out of the water in 5th place and I was actually very happy with that because I had tremendous drafting help the whole time, felt strong, and I came out right with the leaders who put a lot of time into me last year.


 
I had a good transition and left for the bike and quickly took the lead. I held the lead on the bike until the return trip home.  This is where Drew, as a he has done many times, took the lead. Drew is one of the most powerful bike riders I have ever seen and when he goes by it's humbling.  Drew passed me and I knew he was going to take a lot of time. He was absolutely flying.  For the first time ever, I actually felt and voiced (to myself) the frustration of always getting passed by Drew on the bike. Drew put two-minutes into me on the bike which proved to be my undoing.
 
I figure I have at least one or two-years of paying more dues to raise my cycling to the level required to be the best rider in the field.  Until I can increase my bike power from being a good rider in the top 5, to one of the most powerful in the field, I won't be able to beat Drew or others like him. I told Drew the same thing during our friendly exchange at the finish line so I don't feel bad about sharing it here. I told him I am sick of being passed on the bike and I am sick of 2nd place, and I am going to do what it takes to win. I vow to train my body so that I can one day match the amazing power Drew has on the bike. I will wait for him at the finish line like he always waits for me after winning. lol  

 
My run was strong, I ran 30-seconds faster per mile this year compared to last year.  The run at this race can get tough, but this year it was actually enjoyable as I rolled along.  I gave fives to Richard and David as we passed (no matter what I always give the Lings a five on the run, it's our unwritten rule), and held my place in 2nd holding off Keith Stotz. Keith and I had a good battle here in 2012 while trading the lead before I edged him for the win.  

*Twisted face time

*Stand here and do nothing time

*Podium: Congratulations to Drew and Keith.

Overall I am very happy with the week and race. I am thankful for my friends in helping me change the direction of my training camp, spending time with the Budu Crew, the Ling Family, and as always, thankful for Drew's humbling triathlon lessons that motivate me eliminate excuses and to train my body harder.