Monday, June 15, 2015

Spring Festival Triathlon

The first triathlon of the year went pretty well. My fitness is becoming more hustle and less muscle with each passing month. It was a great weekend and a solid race, I will keep it short.
 
Friends:  This was the highlight of the weekend. I spent all weekend with the Wyman entourage having fun and telling jokes, the Wyman family is so good to me.  It was also nice to see my extended triathlon family, and of course, the Budu race crew who I enjoy seeing.  Thanks to Lane for the pictures!
 
*Wyman entourage 
 
*Free hugs

*Terri, Ayla, and Jenna running the main water station
 
The Swim:  My swim is powerful right now. It is better than ever and I felt great during the short swim. I swam quickly to the lead without any bumps or hits, and exited the swim in control of the race. 

*Drew Magill and I before the race

*Arm monsters!!


*Sighting my swim exit

*Swim exit, time to wind it up

The Bike:  I felt good during the bike, but I also derived the hard conclusion that my cycling needs work.  I found it difficult to raise the power the final notch and find top speed. Drew Magill and Nick Hetro both caught me on the bike and took time.  I was caught in-between gears where I was spinning too fast for the higher gear and not being able to hold the power to push the next lower one.  I had a pretty good ride, not my best, and I know I have so much room for improvement in the next few years on the bike.  By the time the bike ended I was in pretty deep water in 3rd place with Josh Fitchitt charging hard from 4th.




The Run:  My run came through for me and I held off the charge of Josh, who is always one of the best runners in the field.  The run got a little weird for us because Drew missed the dog leg portion of the course, and I mistakenly thought that the person ahead of me - eventual winner Nick Hetro - was in the duathlon.  I ran pretty well and at the finish, we sorted it all out, I stayed in 3rd place with a time I am not entirely content with.  


*@Good looking dark-haired lady in the background: You like these moves?
 
*Done

*Not a bad start to the year. Congratulations to Drew and Nick who bested me.

Josh Fitchitt had a good race and finished in 4th.  Last year's winner, Burkin, finished just behind Josh to complete the top 5. It is a small consolation to beat last year's winner who ran me down late in last year's race. I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I am looking forward to it.
 
Thanks again to the Wyman family!