Saturday, June 13, 2015

American Pharoah - Part 2



Much of my intrigue with American Pharoah’s quest for the Triple Crown was the premise that race horses are athletes, and are trained much the same as mid-distance endurance runners.  The horses are given special care to ensure proper base training, speedwork, taper, rest, and diet.  When you have a horse that is valued in the 10s of millions of dollars -- the stud rights of the last Triple Crown winner were sold for $14-million dollars in the 1970s-- that horse is monitored with respect to heart rate, lactic acid, power output, and macro and micro nutrient intake.
The similarities between race horse and runners provide a common ground for interest, but the differences are what fascinate me.  The sheer power and speed of horses, some capable of running nearly 50 miles per hour, provide an incredible capacity for work and fitness.



Equally as fascinating is Usain Bolt, world record-holder in the 100 and 200 meters and a person who is capable of running 30 miles per hour at top speed.



My idea of the perfect athlete is a sprinter's physique with a marathon runner's endurance and economy. My opinion of a perfect body: tall, lean, fast, flexible, and super shredded. It is the best of everything and that is what I strive for.  #perfection



Joel Friel once wrote about race horses and bumble bees in a book of his I have.  He says, in basic terms, that horses run because horses love to run.  They don’t question why they run, they just run for the love of it.  Going on, Friel mentions bumble bees.  You know, those big furry suckers with itty bitty wings?  According to Friel, NASA did an extensive study on bumble bees, in particular, how something with such a huge body and small wings was even capable of flight.

After months and months of studies and tests NASA had its conclusion:  Bumble bees, given all the data obtained, were in fact, incapable of flying.  They simply would not physically be able to fly.  The problem with this study is no one ever told the bumble bee he couldn’t fly.  The important point Friel was making is that the bumble bee, although incapable of flight (according to the laws physics), flies because he believes he can fly. The reading concludes by urging us to train like race horses, and think like bumble bees.  


I have always felt that the optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.  I have had a lot of “opportunities” in the past few months and have done a lot of changing as a person.  Athletes love to see what we are made of.  It’s about riding and running all day, being so tired that you can’t take another step, and waking up the next day thinking, “I think I can go a few steps more and a little bit faster next time.
My purpose and gift is to inspire people in sharing my adventures and aspirations. Motivations have been building in me for the past few months, and they are familiar. I felt this same way before I embarked on the bodybuilding adventure that took everything of me. I felt this way before going on a  tear that led to me winning athlete of the year. I also felt this fire when I was on my quest to win my 4th consecutive and final installment of Janet Clarkson, a race which I wanted to win more than anything to show an entire town “The Power of One.” 


*I am waiting for special adventures like this one to come my way

I won that last race and not long after Jack Clarkson passed away.  It is still one of the most proud moments of my entire life and I think about the people in that story often. If you would like to read about that 4-year adventure I have created links below.


Janet Clarkson Tri 2011 P.1         Janet Clarkson Tri 2010
Janet Clarkson Tri 2011 P.2         Janet Clarkson Tri 2009
Janet Clarkson Tri 2011 P.3         Janet Clarkson Tri 2008


*Mrs. Clarkson after winning the last race

Winning is a bi-product and it is not what I value from those times.  My most appreciate moments from anything I have ever achieved has been being able to inspire other people to go for their dreams and believe in themselves.  When I look back over the past year or so I know in my heart that I have more to give, I have a better version of myself to inspire people. I have more adventures to live and more people to help before I am content.


I think that for a short while I was a bumble bee that forgot he could fly.  However, over the past few months I have found that special part of me that wants to keep climbing.  I am inspired with aspirations to help other people feel motivated and confident to go for their dreams.  I am motivated to help people believe they can fly. I have a lot of adventures scheduled with my friends and I am excited to share the experiences with them.

To those who want to share in the adventures I say, "Let's do it."  


To those who don't think it's possible I say, "Just get out of our way and watch."