Sunday, March 17, 2013

CDA Swim Meet: Part 2 of 2


After the most dedicated training of my whole life, the day was here and it was time to face my challenge.  

*The beautiful Kroc Aquatic Center

It was so great to have my parents and Uriah there.  My parents have been watching me compete for nearly 24 years and no matter what, I am always #1 in their eyes…except that one time my sister beat me in a triathlon…I’m not sure what place that put me in.

*First Uriah wouldn't turn around and face the camera...

Uriah, the turkey that he is, was going a million miles a minute and thoroughly enjoyed all his adventures.  I see a lot of similarities between us, mainly in the fact that we both have to have things our way J  A prime example was when we tried to get him to pose for a picture.

*After I muscled him around his poor lil' legs just couldn't stand, shocking.  This is what I call a "Silent Protest." He he 

*He cheered up when it was time to rock climb, what a character.

*Scaling that wall just like Mackenzie!  His shirt, shorts, and shoes match, who said I never taught him anything?

*All better :)

It was also great to have Ed and Patti at the meet.  They are some of my favorite people.  They adopted me as a grandson so they are my only living grandparents.  They are special people.  Patti holds just about every record in the Northwest and she didn’t disappoint with a break through performance in the 200 back and the 1500 meter freestyle.  She is an inspiration. 

*I wore camouflage for the first 4 events and no one saw me, they just saw phantom ripples in the lane. 

*Patti on her way to a personal best in the 200 backstroke

Ayla had a great meet doing her first ever 200 individual medley.  She totally rocked it and achieved her dream goal. Her parents, Terri and Lane, joined her and had a great time seeing what it is that we do with all of our time and efforts.  Ayla had a great day, she was part of the relay, and did awesome in her personal events.  I am very proud of her.


*Two peas in a pod

*Ayla with her parents after her first ever 200 individual medley

*Ayla working the fly of her 200IM

*Get it girl, I think this is the 100IM...

I loved every minute of this meet.  Sometimes I find myself at competitions and because of nerves I look forward to getting things over with. That was not the case here.  I put in so much time in planning and in making every detail perfect.  I had one of the best days of my whole life and enjoyed every minute of it.

*The theme song was "My Songs Know..." By Fall Out Boy.  I listened to it on Ayla's phone before the 200 fly. 

For this meet I was swimming six events, 5 individual and 1 relay.  I started with the 200IM and swam comfortably hard in personal best time.  I followed that with the relay, which also went well.  I then completed the 100IM and 50 backstroke in personal best times without any major expenditures of energy.  I then had a pretty substantial break before the last two events.

*Ignite the turbos, it's warm up time, boy!

During the break I snugged back into my warmup clothes and relaxed.  I listened to the theme song 5 times and tried to soak it all in.  My moment was about to happen.  With about 30 minutes until the 200 fly I traded out my camouflage jammers and unveiled my special edition suit.  After changing I went back to the hot tub to start the warmup process.  After a short soak I went to the warmup section of the pool and did about 500 meters of  solid warmup.  My muscles coursed with anticipation.  I hopped out, it was time to do what I had come here to do.

*Patti and I just before the 200 butterfly, special edition suit.

*"Omg, is Uncle Doug really wearing that?"  Notice the attacking shark on the tshirt?

The officials called us to the blocks for the start of the 200 fly.  I knew this was going to be my hardest event.  I stepped up on the blocks and said to myself “GO GET WHAT YOU CAME HERE FOR!”  My friends and family were at both ends of the pool to cheer me on.  We dove in and the first lap was easy speed, I felt great. 

The second lap, same thing, I felt incredible.  Third lap is always where the struggle starts for me.  I started to hurt pretty badly at the 125 mark thinking I may have started a little too fast.  I stuck with it and finished the 3rd of 4 laps.  I always break up the final lap into two lengths (rather than one lap) because it is tough.  My arms began to seize like they always do, my lungs begged for more air, and my shoulders burned badly.  I hit the final wall, got deep under the wave that I was pulling along, and made the turn for home.  My dream was 25 meters away and I was powering down and suffering…and loving it.

I touched the wall in personal best time. I was so tired and locked up that another 5 meters would have been impossible, but I wouldn't have it any other way honestly.  I would probably try to take it out a little easier and suffer less in the final 50 meters, but it makes for a better story to be locking up with strife bringing it home.  It was a huge weight off my chest to be done with the 200 fly, a weight I had carried for nearly 3 months.

My friends and family gave me some high fives, and a few said, “good job,” before I plunged back into the warmup pool to work out my seized muscles.  The 400IM was right around the corner.  Within a few minutes I was called back to the blocks for the last event of my dream day.

*These pics remind me of a shark attack:  165 pounds flyin' towards you pushing a wall of water with mouth agape ready to strike.

*Here comes the splash, watch out cameraman!

The 400IM went great.  So great in fact that a couple times during the race I thought to myself “You probably aren’t going to set a PR because the pace is too 'easy.'"  I had all but given up on going for my best time during the breaststroke because I felt like it was swimming way too smooth to be going fast. 

I have put in a lot of work on my back and breaststroke so I was going faster with less effort.  When I touched the wall I looked at the clock.  My time was 18 seconds faster than my time last year. I honestly felt like I should have left more out there in terms of effort and that I should have pressured the back and breaststroke more.

*Still in shark attack mode, breaststroke.

*Closing it out, smooth like Finding Nemo on the attack. ha ha 

*Can't win them all :)

I am beyond satisfied with everything about this adventure.  The 200 fly was brutal and the 400IM was a perfect ending to my dream swim-quest. After the meet we all celebrated over dinner and shopping at the mall.  I am super excited for Swim Championships!

*Post race dinner, so relieved it's over, and so satisfied with what we accomplished.

All the hard work, sacrifice, and even failure along the way were worth it in the end.  When people ask me, “Why do you like doing stuff like this?” My answer is a simple phrase, 

“Because this is what I do.”  

Thanks for reading, Dream On.